Acupuncture is not something that works the same way for everyone. What is good for one, may take more time with another. Some would argue that this is exactly the beauty of acupuncture – it meets you exactly where you are at.
To make the most of it, you have to consider some general rules that you will do well to follow. That way you will make the most of your appointment and possible future visits with the same expert. Here is a quick list:
- Consider your schedule wisely – if there is a strenuous event on your schedule, you might want to avoid putting acupuncture before and after it. You don’t necessarily need to be fully relaxed, but it is also a good idea not to be overexcited, burdened by an important meeting or perhaps tired from going to the gym. It is also a good thing to avoid scheduling acupuncture between two of your other things-to-do. This will only make you worry whether you will make it on time and take away so much of the usefulness of acupuncture. Ideally, you want to leave the treatment session at the end of your work duties, when you have enough time to relax and enjoy it to the fullest.
- Eat something before getting the treatment – many acupuncture experts get this question a lot: is it right to eat something before getting acupuncture? This is hard to answer since everyone’s metabolism is different. At best, you can follow the general guideline, which is to eat 2 hours prior to acupuncture. That way you will not feel stuffed, nor will you feel too hungry. It is better to feel a little full than to feel hungry and distracted.
- Don’t drink coffee and alcohol – coffee is not always bad, but you should not drink it before acupuncture. It serves as a stimulant and can make your heart race, which is precisely the opposite goal of acupuncture. You are there to relax, unwind and rest. Alcohol has the added effect of clouding your mind, which is another state you don’t want to find yourself in during acupuncture. You want to become more aware of how you feel, which is precisely what acupuncture does. It cannot do it if you impair your senses with the help of alcohol.
- Consider your clothing – you want to show up for acupuncture in loose clothing. That way the expert will easily access the places where needles need to be. This is very important for community acupuncture sessions, where the treatment itself is performed with clothes on. Even for a private session, it is best to have loose clothes.
- Keep your cell phone off – turning off your phone is a great thing to do, especially during the acupuncture treatment. You don’t want it ringing during the session, as that would interrupt the effect it is supposed to have on you. Getting distracted during the session is not the way to make the most of it. You are there to forget about your worries for some time and unwind, so make it count.
- Don’t rush through it – once you are your acupuncture appointment, make sure to not rush through it. That way you are making it more stressful than it needs to be. Make sure you give yourself enough time to get there so that you don’t arrive stressed. Rushing makes the treatment counter-productive, and that is not the way to go.
There is little doubt that following all of these tips will allow you to enjoy acupuncture thoroughly and experience the full benefit this Traditional Chinese Medicine practice has to offer.
Get the most of your acupuncture treatment with the aid of The Acupuncturist Ltd.
© The Acupuncturist Ltd